Monday, July 1, 2013

Spreading Some Panhellenic Love

It is hard for me to believe that in one short week I will head to Indiana for ZTA's National Leadership Conference before embarking on July 20th for my job as a TLC. Today I have been reflecting a lot on the process of not only becoming a TLC but also on going Greek. So many times during the school year Greek's are "battling" each other to win Greek Week or win a certain Greek award. While I fully believe a little competition is healthy to us all because I feel it challenges us to become the best we can be, I also often wonder "Where is the GREEK UNITY?" 

Now I will be the first to admit that I am a very competitive person. During my three terms on my chapter's Executive Council, I made sure that our chapter worked hard and did deserve everything we were awarded; that our hard work actually paid off. While it is more difficult to admit, when it came to the times that we didn't earn what we were working towards, I was upset but I understood that too. I remember my freshman year when my chapter won no awards at our NC Zeta Day and then turned around to win nothing at Greek Awards on campus. It was very hard for me to be excited for the sorority that won Sorority of the Year but it was so motivating to hear one of our advisors get up at chapter that night to tell us not to sink our heads but to rise to the challenge of setting goals for the next year. 

I love Zeta Tau Alpha. I've been told that I eat, breath, and bleed ZTA. Am I proud of how hard our chapter worked the past four years? Absolutely. Do I go to bed smiling every night knowing we won Sorority of the Year the past two years? Of course. Could I have ever been a recruitment counselor and be disaffiliated from my sorority for a summer? No way because I love ZTA that much. But while I could never imagine being anything other than a Zeta Tau Alpha, I have also learned (over the past two years really) the importance of supporting the Greek community. 

We are all advocates for Greek Life, no matter our letters, and the support for one another is crucial for the success of all our amazing organizations.

Being Greek has changed my life and in the upcoming recruitment season, I can only hope to be the biggest advocate for GOING GREEK! Something I loved about being Greek at UNC Charlotte was our Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life truly promoted supporting not only one another but supporting the community. Having friends in other sororities is one of the neatest things and opens so many doors to support one another at events. So in traveling, I hope that not only I can be a representative of Zeta Tau Alpha, but I also hope to be a representative of Panhellenic and spread some Panhellenic Love! To all the UNC Charlotte sororities: Alpha Delta Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta, Sigma Kappa, and Zeta Tau Alpha...always remember that it take all of us to make a difference and we need each other to grow! Be an advocate for making a difference in the world :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment