Thursday, July 18, 2013

2013 National Leadership Conference

July 9-14 proved to be a very wonderful opportunity as I was able to attend the 2013 ZTA National Leadership Conference (NLC) in Indianapolis, Indiana! NLC is a wonderful program that ZTA puts on which promotes leadership development in current and rising leaders in all ZTA chapters across the country. Each chapter sends a select number of delegates to attend the conference, which is held every two years (the off years of NLC is when convention is held). 

I was so excited to attend NLC as a TLC this year for several reasons. 1) it was going to provide the first opportunity for me to meet the other 19 traveling leadership consultants who I would share the next year with. 2) When I was Vice President 1 of my chapter it was an NLC year but I could not attend because I was working at mission camp and NLC is something I have always wished I could have attended. 3) I would walk away with new ideas and information to begin my year of traveling!

The theme of NLC this year was "Take Charge" and taught us all how to change the way we operated our chapters while not settling for the excuse of "but we've always done it that way!" The speakers that presented were wonderful and it was exciting to hear updates of our fraternity at each meal. I underestimated the connections I would form at NLC with certain alumnae and I am so excited to get on the road and possibly be sent to the chapters that these leaders advise. It was great to see old TLC's who had once visited our chapter and to see the other officers from North Carolina who I have come to know over the past few years. 

Our 6 days at NLC flew by incredibly fast and it was a little sad leaving the other 19 TLC's on Sunday because I already love each of them as my sisters. Flying home alone I was able to reflect on not only all that I had learned about being a leader at NLC but all that I have learned over the past four years while in my own chapter at UNC Charlotte. It's hard for me to grasp that in 48 hours I'll be boarding another set of planes to head off for good and this time saying good bye to the ones I love for three or so months. While I am a little nervous of the unknown, I am so excited to experience the opportunity that has been laid out before me. Now to just get packing... :-)

TLC's before NLC delegates arrived

Sitting at the head table for lunch one day

2013-2014 TLC's with our wonderful group leader 

UNC Charlotte Girls 

Beautiful view on the way home!


No comments:

Post a Comment